Monday, August 4, 2025

Unraveling the Mystery: My Review of Remember Me Always by Renee Collins

Hey everyone!

 Now, I want to talk about a book that completely captivated me from the very first chapter: Remember Me Always by Renee Collins. I recently had the chance to listen to this on Audible, and it was an absolutely thrilling experience. I rated this book 4/5 stars, because I genuinely loved it and couldn't stop thinking about it after the final chapter.

The Story: A Secret, a Crash, and a Boy She Can't Forget

The premise of this book is what initially drew me in, and it's a fantastic hook. Here's a quick rundown from the synopsis:

Shelby is nervous to start her senior year after spending the whole summer away from home. After all, it's hard to be carefree when you're trying to protect a secret.


Shelby was in a devastating car accident, and everyone in town thinks that she was undergoing more physical therapy in Denver. Instead, Shelby's mother enrolled her in a clinical program to stop the panic attacks that started after the crash. The treatment erased Shelby's memory of the accident, but she can't help feeling as if a piece of herself is missing, that the treatment took more than the doctors claimed.

So when Shelby starts hallucinating a boy with dark and mysterious eyes, she knows it must be a side-effect of the clinical program. Except you can't kiss hallucinations. And this boy insists that they know each other and are in love...

What a setup, right? The story is a masterful blend of mystery, romance, and psychological suspense. You're immediately pulled into Shelby's world as she tries to piece together her past while grappling with a reality that feels more and more like a lie.

Why I Loved This Book

Remember Me Always grabbed my attention and held it tight. The central mystery of the car crash and what truly happened is so compelling. I was constantly trying to figure out the truth alongside Shelby, and the twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat. The suspense is perfectly balanced, making you question everything you and Shelby are told.

The audiobook format was particularly effective for this story. The duel narrator's performances perfectly captured Shelby's confusion, fear, and growing hope. Listening to her inner monologue as she struggles to distinguish between reality and her "hallucinations" was incredibly immersive. The emotional weight of the story, especially the intense connection between Shelby and the boy, was beautifully conveyed through the narration.

The romance in this book is the beating heart of the story. The love between Shelby and the boy is powerful, not just because of the mystery surrounding their connection, but because of the way it's portrayed. It's a love that transcends memory, a deep-seated feeling that she can't explain but can't deny. This kind of "remembering" is what made the story so special for me. It's a powerful statement about the nature of love and identity.

Final Verdict

I gave Remember Me Always four stars because it was a thrilling, emotional, and captivating ride from start to finish. It’s a book that hits all the right notes for a fantastic Young Adult novel: a compelling mystery, a swoon-worthy romance, and a protagonist you can't help but root for. The only reason it's not a perfect five is that I wish I could have spent even more time with the characters and the world, but that's a testament to how much I enjoyed it.

If you love a good psychological mystery with a strong romantic element, or if you're a fan of stories where a character has to reclaim their own past, you absolutely need to add this to your to-be-read list. And if you're an audiobook fan, I highly recommend listening to this one!

Have you read Remember Me Always? What are some of your favorite YA mysteries? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Didn't Just Read This Book, I Fell into It. And So Should You.

Hey Bookworms!! You know that feeling when you start a book and suddenly realize it’s 3 AM and you’ve forgotten to eat dinner? That’s what r...